The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc, (FARM) is a 501 (c3) non-profit organization. One of FARM’s primary objectives is to raise awareness about joint replacement options available for the millions of patients suffering from degenerative conditions such as arthritis. FARM created the BoneSmart website and platform as well as a successful patient mentor program.
Since its creation in 2005 as the public face of FARM’s consumer outreach efforts, BoneSmart.org has become an award-winning joint community website that continues to provide:
- Educational content related to joint replacement surgery, implants, and technologies
- Access to the world’s largest joint replacement patient support forum (bonesmart.org/forum) with dozens of dedicated volunteer moderators talking 24/7 to members about joint issues
- A searchable database of thousands of orthopedic surgeons in the United States (bonesmart.org/surgeonlocator)
Financial support for FARM and BoneSmart.
When initially established, FARM received funds from various orthopaedic manufacturers. These generous contributions helped make the organization, website, and forum what they are today. We are very grateful for that faith in our mission. Even with this industry support, both FARM and BoneSmart remained an independent and unbiased resource, something we are very proud of.
By 2017, corporate support for FARM had declined significantly due to a massive consolidation within the orthopaedic manufacturing industry. Today, FARM is an inactive entity receiving donations that it provides to BoneSmart to help with operational expenses.
- FARM requires minimal funding for costs associated with filing tax forms to allow continuation as a non-profit. Annual tax returns are available on the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website in the section for non-profit organizations.
- FARM does not solicit any funding and it relies on BoneSmart revenue to pay required legal and accounting costs.
BoneSmart remains a robust online patient community that continues to expand its educational and support capabilities. As of 2020, basic operating costs for BoneSmart exceeded $75,000 annually.
- Dedicated volunteers share our vision and help us grow. Their generous contribution of time and talent allows us to keep expenses down to our current levels.
- Approximately 15% of expenses were funded by orthopaedic companies, primarily for the annual Joint Replacement Awareness Day each spring and some operational expenses.
- Over $50,000 covered costs to keep the website and forum operational and maintain strong Google rankings so patients can find us with a search.
- Donations are the primary means of support for operational expenses.